Friday, December 5, 2008

For those of you

I upset with my post about Kaden...Here is a new one just for you. Kaden was diagnosed with Autism. When I said he was labeled I was stating a fact. He is, it is not a death sentence. EVERY time I take him to the doctor, EVERY time I have to talk to the school, EVERY time I have to fight for his rights I will have to use the terms Autism and Autistic. It will go hand in hand a lot of the time with Kaden. ( I am not politically correct, never have been, never will be! I am not an under privileged American, I am poor white trash!) Kaden has Autism, But Autism doesn't have him! Nor will it change his place in our family or our hearts. He is our little KK and he is treated just like the other kids. He gets in trouble, he has time outs, he gets scolded. But he also gets all of our love. If you ask our kids who is a little more privileged in this house they will tell you its Kaden. They all know if they choose not to eat dinner it is their choice, and I will not run out and buy them something special because they didn't eat. But I do, do it for Kaden. Why you ask, because Kaden is different. We have spent plenty of time explaining to them about it and they understand. Kaden is very very picky and will go days with out eating and rarely eats what the rest of us eat. Fair not really, but I have no choice he has to eat. They also know when he poops somewhere he shouldn't he is not going to get into as much trouble as they would. So aside from getting special food and more understanding with his messes and melt downs. He gets the same everything. Always has, Always will.
People come with labels, like it or not they do. As for me I have 2. I have Fibromyalgia. I also have the label of bipolar, which causes anxiety attacks. When I go to the doctor I have to tell them that. When I have to explain to my kids why mommy isn't feeling up to going and standing around with a huge crowd of people to do something, or why some days mommy hurts, I have to explain. I have LABELS! But does it change who I am or what my family feels for me. NO! So I am sorry if I did not explain my feelings right. Or somehow lead you to believe that I will not do EVERYTHING in my power to give Kaden EVERY chance all of my other kids will have. But with the military and doctors and school. Kaden has a label but that is not all he has or is and we know that. He has US his family who will love him, push him, and do everything in our power to help him be the best Kaden he can be. And that is all we will ever ask of any of our children. This is my journal and my feelings and most days my brain isn't all together and things come out a mess. But this is for me. It is MY outlet. PC or not. Loving and Kind or NOT. This is for me and those who want a tiny glimpse into our life. I encourage people to leave comments, and maybe my emotions are too far out on my sleeve or maybe I am still a little emotionally raw. But since I had a few people say the same things to me I thought I needed to clarify. I love you all and have found the cord to the camera so I am all set to have a camera playdate with the kids this weekend! All my love! ~Carolyn

0 comments: