Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Kaden is Autistic....now what.

WHEW! What a day! First in the letter it told us to go to the above address, which was the Doctors office. Weird since I went through the CVRC (central valley regional center) and they told me it was going to be done there. Anywho, get there and they are like um your supposed to be in Visallia, we will call and see if the doc is almost there or if he can turn around and see you there. LOL he was there and said he would wait for us. AWESOME! so we jump in the car quick look at a map to see the quickest route and jump back on the freeway. We get there and get signed in and soon the Dr. comes out to greet us and he is the NICEST man. We spent a lot of time answering questions on Kaden and then we had to sign papers saying he could run some test on him. So he pulled out some puzzles with plastic shapes and tried to get Kade to mimic him. Kaden threw the pieces...OK, on to next test, blocks, see if he would mimic building a tower. Kaden licked the pieces. Next see if Kaden would feed a baby with a spoon. Kaden threw the spoon and checked the baby out. Point to the babies eyes, Doc shows the eyes, Kaden turns the baby over and tries to make it a car. See if Kaden will look at a book. Kaden didn't like this book so he threw it so far it went out of the room and down the hall.. GOOD THROW KADE :)! OK, one more test. This one had a bunch of pegs that you put into holes and they stood up. Kaden did it :) I was so excited! If he had more the one in his hand he wouldn't. But he did put it in a couple of times I was pleased. So Vernon finished up with the paperwork and Kaden finished up with his testing and the doctor looks at us and says based on what you are telling me and the testing I just did I am making the diagnosis of yes Kaden does have Autism. The asked if we had any questions. Yes I have tons! But I cant get my head on straight. All I could manage to ask was what now? I have known something was wrong with my baby for so long and now I had an answer....But it was still hard to hear, no matter how I thought I would handle it and how much I knew deep down that this was what was wrong with Kaden. It suddenly became real. I put a label on my child. But now what....that was all I could ask. How stupid is that!?! He said go to his Ped and tell them that he was diagnosed. Don't I need to wait for your report, nope I just gave you the diagnosis. you have all you need with my verbal telling you. Hmmm not sure how the Navy will take that one but ok. Then while we are talking to his Ped we need to ask (demand) that he start both speech and occupational therapy. We also need to go to the school and get him in a special ed preschool. If they tell us they don't have one we need to be firm. It is Federal Law that he gets to go to school and get started now because he is special needs. We also need to get back in touch with the person we first saw at the CVRC. And she will help get us into support groups and many many other things that are out there for us now that we have a diagnosis. I am sure this is not making a lot of sense, my brain feels jumbled. I tried to bake to clear my head, but after 10 dozen cookies made I am still feeling confused and overwhelmed. I know we can do this. We just have to take it one step at a time. But we have to fight for him. We will fight for him. And we will do the best we can, cuz that is all we can do. I know I have been promising pictures I and promise soon. I have lost the cord that plugs into my computer so I cant upload them. Sorry again for the jumbled mess. As I sort things out, I will add more. And fix it so it doesn't sound so jumpy and a lot less stressed. I am fine we are fine. Just have to get over the next few steps. Guess I should quit rambling and head to bed. Tomorrow is parent teacher conference for JD and Danica and that might be another fight. I am going to ask about having Danica tested for Dyslexia. She is reading somethings backwords and writes numbers backwords but says them correctly like the number is 51, but she will write 15 and tell me she wrote 51. Or write the 5 backwords. And reading she will read words like baby, dady...that sort of stuff and it worries me, so we shall she what her teacher says. Anyway thanks for reading. Hugs and kisses to all! and again sorry if this makes no sense at all. ~care

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

There is an Autistic boy in our town. His twin sister was just crowed Homecoming Queen, and he just got Homecoming King. He fits in with everyone else. Don't label him, love him.

Anonymous said...

I know. It was just some moments of stress. He is just a little boy with autism. He is not just Autistic. It was just all the stress I was feeling that day piled up and came out all wrong. :)

Carolyn said...

LOL, Sorry I just posted as Vernon. Didn't realize he was logged in.